Nirmala Sitharaman India’s New Defence Minister
Nirmala Sitharaman has been elected as India’s new Defence Minister and has taken the throne of defence ministry from Arun Jaitley. This 58 year old lady has created history as she is the first Indian woman who is now a Defence Minister. Prior to this, former Indian Prime Minister Indira Gandhi had held Defence Minister post. Here are the 10 Facts You Need To Know About India’s New Defence Minister, Nirmala Sitharaman. On Sunday, nine new ministers were elected; four ministers including Nirmala were elevated to the cabinet. Before Nirmala was chosen, there was speculation revolving around the issue whether Arun Jaitley would keep on serving the Indian Defence Sector. Arun Jaitley expressed his desirous to not to carry any further responsibility.
10 Facts You Need To Know About India’s New Defence Minister
1. Nirmala Sitharaman was born on August 18, 1959, in Madurai, Sitharaman. Her father, Narayanan Sitharaman served the Railways and her mother, Savitri, was a homemaker who loves to read books. This middle class family spent many years in different parts of Tamil Nadu as Narayanan Sitharaman’s job experienced many transfers.
2. She completed her graduation from Seethalakshmi Ramasamy College, Tiruchirappalli and after that she opted masters in Economics and joined the Jawaharlal Nehru University in Delhi.
3. Nirmala Sitharaman engaged in PhD dissertation on Indo-European textile trade.
4. In 1986, Nirmala married Dr Parakala Prabhakar after which she moved to London, where she worked as a Senior Manager at Pricewaterhouse Cooper. Her husband is an alumnus of London School of Economics & Jawaharlal Nehru University. Nirmala is a mother of beautiful daughter.
5. Nirmala has also served the BBC World Service before returning to India in 1991.
6. She is amongst the founding directors of a school in Hyderabad called Pranava.
7. In the year 2003, she was made a member of the National Commission for Women (NCW) in the Atal Bihari Vajpayee government. She served the commission till the year 2005.
8. In the year 2006, Nirmala joined the Bhartiya Janta Party (BJP) and in 2010, she became a spokesperson of BJP.
9. She has also worked for the ministry of finance and corporate affairs and is a Rajya Sabha member who represents Karnataka in the Parliament.
10. On 26th May, 2014, Nirmala was chosen as a Minister of State, Commerce and Industry, with independent charge.
We salute the decision of the government and hope that we’ll soon encounter many more achievements by Indian defence sector. To get updated with latest news, stay connected with the cool team only at coolexample.in